Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

License Requirements


License Requirements

Below is a summary of what the RI Law includes for Continuing Education compliance for licensed insurance producers.

For questions relating to the RI Continuing Education Law (27-3.2) contact Director of Education Jean Nagle, AAI, AIS, ACSR at IIARI (401.732.2400) or email: 

​All RI resident insurance producers hold a Life, Health or P&C license (or any other line of authority where an examination is required.) A resident is one who lives in RI and holds a valid RI producers license, or a resident of another state that has declared RI as their state of residency for business purposes. 
Non-residents whose home state does not have a CE law or where their home state CE law does not allow RI residents exemption from their continuing education requirements.
​As of September 1, 2008, everyone - except if you are 55 and have held a RI license continuously for 25 years - is required to complete a minimum twenty four (24) continuing education credits during each two (2) year renewal. Of these twenty four credits you must obtain three (3) hours of Ethics.

  • You may not take the same course more than once in a compliance period.
  • You may carry up to 12 excess continuing education credits accumulated during a biennial license cycle forward through the end of the next renewal period. Ethics credits will be carried forward as general credits so that the required three ethics credits must be obtained during each two year license cycle.
  • When you go to renew, if you are at least fifty-five (55) years of age and have held a RI license continuously for the last twenty-five (25) years without any interruption or lapse, you are exempt from the continuing education requirement.

All producers selling flood insurance policies are required to be properly trained and educated.
​RI Producers who instruct approved programs receive the same credits as the students.
  • Person must be 18 years of age
  • Take the state test - which is comprised of three (3) separate parts - and receive a 70% or above on all parts.
  • Send the following to the Department of Insurance:
    • an application
    • a copy of the original passed exam results (results are valid for a period of one year)
    • a copy of the original certificate of completion (which shows that they attended an approved pre-licensing class)
    • a copy of the background report from the RI Attorney General's Office
  • The producer's license fee is $120.00 for two years
​RI residents are required to carry and maintain Errors and Omissions Insurance.